lundi 18 avril 2011

The acrobat

Introducing the Hyperborean Ornithosquirellix. He worked so much that he fully deserves the sunflower seeds he is squirrelling away.
Posted by Picasa

15 commentaires:

  1. That's a cute feeder you've got there too. In fact I think one designed with a built in sculpture of the Ornithosquirrelix would be very popular.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Maybe the cute engineer could design and market one?

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Alright. I'll add this Hyperborean Ornithosquirrelix to my story. But I think Hercules the Tabby and Cricket of the Dale, not to mention Henry the Parrot might be concerned about a squirrel that raids a bird feeder. Remember, everything in Hyperborea is happy.

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. Look at it this way: the squirrell is happy and through his shaking the feeder seeds fall to the ground and ground feeding birds have a snack otherwise reserved for the feeder types. So nobody is unhappy, the chickadees even come to the feeder while the Ornithosquirrellix is there.
    I'll bet they will make one happy four footed and winged community as befits Hyoerborea.

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. The engineer is an engineer not an artist. But his mother, so legend has it, spent an entire summer trying to outwit an Ornithosquirrelix named Tricky Ricky. He won every time, even after her bird feeder had been suspended in some unimaginable way between the house and driveway with a succession of structural foils. And she IS an artist.

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. I never could find a squirrellproof feeder no matter the price or the design. They always find a way to get at the seeds. Bright little fur balls.

    RépondreSupprimer
  7. you are much kinder than i, paul -- i am still angry at the squirrels in my yard for stealing my tomatoes!!

    RépondreSupprimer
  8. Well I have no tomatoes in my yard. On the other hand they are great tulips dissimnators. Every years we have tulips coming out where the least expected.

    RépondreSupprimer
  9. You should see some of the places my daffodils turn up.

    RépondreSupprimer
  10. Yes, full of surprises. A squirrel had bitten my eldest daughter so badly when she was 4 we had to take her to the doctor and she had to bear a lot of injections, which she hated, and still does.

    RépondreSupprimer
  11. Our squirrels, most of them anyway, carry the Rabies virus. Being bitten by one calls for a visit to the emrgency room.

    RépondreSupprimer
  12. Rabies? Here too and God knows what else. So one has to be careful.

    RépondreSupprimer
  13. I have a bird feeder in the backyard. I fill it year round with songbird feed and I enjoy the visitors. I really don't know much about the birds. I can identify a few of the visitors, but I'd need a real birder to start me from the most basic birds.

    RépondreSupprimer
  14. Have you heard of the National Geographic Society's "the Field Guide to the Birds of North America"? Really nicely done. You also have the Audubon Society and it's publications.
    For Québec we have a CD/DVD "initiation aux oiseaux du Québec pas la couleur", once intalled on a computer it allows you to identify the bird using its form or dominant colour or secondary colours. Very fast and accurate. There is certainly something similar down your way in nature libraries.

    RépondreSupprimer