samedi 5 juin 2010

The Tupperware orange peeler

Sledpress asked for a video of "l'ézesteur d'agrume" my wife uses for her morning bout with oranges, etc.   These little gadgets were given as door prizes to participants to Tupperware sales party some 40 to 50 years ago.  My wife got two at friend's parties.  One was yellow the other, shown above, liight grey or soft beige whatever you prefer.  The yellow one has vanished but we still have, and use this one.

10 commentaires:

  1. Ah -- but what it begs for is streaming action video (perhaps with a nice soundtrack) of the entire surgical process you described!

    Or perhaps it's one of those things which is more fun if left to the imagination...

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. I'm a pre-video and even pre-television kid. I love imagining things and I have often been disappointed by films and TVcasts of my favorite books when the physical aspect of the character did not match my mental images.
    I know I can make videos with my digital camera and my cell phone but have never come around to learning how to do it.
    When I retired 16 years ago I would have laughed my head off had anyone told me that I would be blogging and posting pictures on my blog. I had never even touched a computer leaving that to my secretary. So don't ask for too much.

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. I have never seen such a gadget! Is it to peel or to zest?

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. It is to zest. You insert the hook end into the zest and you pull around the fruit from north to south pole once than you repeat crosswise. With the flat end inserted under the zest you then pry off the four sections, your orange or grapefruit or what not is ready to be eaten.

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. I also have one of those. Goes back to our previous lifetime, when my wife sold Tupperware.

    I use mine regularly to peal my breakfast orange.

    C'est très bien.

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. Never seen anything like that. You New World people love gadgets, it seems.

    RépondreSupprimer
  7. Well MoR, I never believed I would show you something you had never seen. I guess yes we do love gadgets...especially usefull ones.

    RépondreSupprimer
  8. I adore gadgets. It is why I swoon for engineers.

    RépondreSupprimer
  9. Never said you folks over there like useless stuff. It's more us. And here in Italy we have in any case a malady called technophobia. For example, people started here - but I'd say all over Europe - to massively use air conditioning 'only' after the terrible 2003 European heat wave when 70,000 Europeans died. France especially was hit. From that summer only I have air-conditioning at home. I guess in the New World you have AC since 50 year ...more perhaps?

    RépondreSupprimer
  10. AC we have in most public buildings, in private homes the better off have it but it's not that popular, at least in the northern regions where it would be usefull about a week or so. The expense is not worth it.

    RépondreSupprimer